|Assemble all the raw ingredients.|
|Seed the cucumber using a teaspoon.|
|Assemble the topping.|
If you don't want to serve a salad, this is the perfect first course on a warm summer evening, when tomatoes are bursting with flavor. It requires no cooking and can be made the day before it is needed. If the texture is too thick for your taste, stir in a little tomato juice.
- 10 Roma tomatoes (about 2 pounds), cored and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, cored, seeded, trimmed, and cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, trimmed, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup red onion, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup red and yellow pear tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, butterflied, poached, and chilled
- 6 to 8 sprigs of fresh cilantro
- 6 to 8 wedges of lime
- Prepare Gazpacho: In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Transfer to a food processor, pulse until almost puréed, leaving a little texture. Season with salt and pepper. Return to bowl, cover, and refrigerate another hour before serving.
- Prepare topping mixture: In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients until well blended. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
Ladle 1-1/2 cups of gazpacho into chilled soup plates. Spoon 1/4 cup of the topping mixture onto center of soup, top with 2 shrimp, and garnish with a sprig of cilantro. Place a wedge of lime on the rim of the plate.