|Sauté vegetables for 5 minutes. |
|Gradually pour in chicken broth, stirring constantly. |
|Add about a quarter of hot soup to cheese in bowl. |
|Mix cheese and soup mixture until smooth. |
Hearty Potato & Cheddar with Bacon Soup
This classic winter soup combines the hearty flavors of cheddar cheese and bacon in a thick soup. It should be served with chunks of warm French bread in front of an open fire.
Potato & Cheddar with Bacon:
- 1/4 pound smoked sliced bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 small leeks, trimmed, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound Vermont sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a large saucepan cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon, set aside. Drain all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Add butter and melt.
- Add leeks, onion, carrots and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in chicken broth.
- Add potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cook partially covered for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Place cheese in a large mixing bowl. Stir in about a quarter of the hot soup, mixing until smooth. Return cheese mixture to saucepan.
- Gradually stir in heavy cream, salt and ground pepper. Continue to heat soup until almost boiling.
Garnish with thinly sliced scallions or chives and crumbled bacon