Well, if you are hosting Friendsgiving, whether casual or formal, there are some helpful guidelines to follow to ensure your dinner table looks pristine and professional. So, grab your chargers, dinner plates and napkins, and we’ll show you how to set your table. Plus we’ll give you some Friendsgiving-specific decor tips along the way.
Table Setting Basics
- Set the foundation with a charger. This decorative piece is what grounds your dinnerware.
- Lay your dinner plate on top of the charger. One way to create an interesting look is to place a folded napkin in the center of the plate, and then set the salad plate on top.
- To the right of the plate, lay the knife at the innermost point (with the blade facing the plate). Then add your teaspoon and soup spoon.
- To the left of the plates, place the dinner fork at the innermost point, followed by the salad fork.
- Complete the table setting with glasses for both water and wine on the right side above the knife and spoon.
A Friendsgiving Spin
Consider a Centerpiece: At the center of all good tablescapes is a fabulous centerpiece. Friendsgiving is an opportunity to get especially creative. Grab some pumpkins, some flowers (even flowers in a pumpkin?) or a seasonal garland. Better yet, if you’ve made a professional looking turkey or a mouth-watering pumpkin pie, let it get all the attention by placing it in the middle of the table, serving as your centerpiece.
Play up Place Cards: Looking for a way to make your guests feel extra special? Place cards are the perfect touch. Whether a large dinner or a more intimate affair, this simple accessory will add a personal element to the night. You’ll be surprised by how much your friends will love this artistic addition.
When in Doubt, Add Candles: Nothing sets the ambience better than the warm, soft glow of candlelight. Not only do candles add instant warmth, but they also help illuminate all the food you worked so hard to prepare. Also, candles have a way of creating a relaxed environment, which is what Friendsgiving should be about after all!
Finalize with Festive Decor: To tie together the autumn theme, be sure to sprinkle in some seasonal decor. The only limit to this is your own imagination. Placemats are a great place to start as they will enhance individual place settings as well as the table as a whole. Then think about napkin rings and votives for a picture-perfect setup.